“With All The Talk Around CBD Oil For Anxiety, It’s Time To Dive A Little Deeper.”
More than 39 million Americans, aged 18 years or more, suffer from anxiety associated disorders. A variety of medications are available in the market for the treatment of these mental conditions. However, despite being effective in some anxiety sufferers, these drugs often do not elicit a favorable response in many generalized anxiety and health anxiety sufferers.
Some sufferers may find the side effects to be intolerable while others may not experience any easement in their anxiety levels. Also, certain medications like Xanax and Valium tend to be very addictive.
Over the past few years, a lot of medical experts, scientists, clinicians, and consumers have begun looking into the beneficial effects of CBD oil for anxiety. CBD oil or cannabidiol oil is extracted from the cannabis plant. It has chemicals called cannabinoids. The increased interest in CBD is due to the presence of evidence that indicates that CBD overcomes several adverse effects of THC.
Also, many different clinical, experimental, epidemiological, and animal studies have shown that CBD has potent anti-anxiety qualities.
When CBD oil is administered with the right dosage, it has been found to produce good tolerance, be safe, and help treat may different kinds of anxiety associated conditions like:
- OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic disorder
- Social phobia
- GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- PTSD or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Moderate to mild Depression
- Working mechanism of CBD oil
Many actions are exercised by CBD on the brain and these actions have helped to understand the beneficial effects of CBD oil for anxiety. It may however be noted that proof of the benefits of CBD are based on animal studies and the results of the preclinical research may not necessary transfer to therapies for humans.
Some of the learnings from the different studies are:
- Spanish scientists via their animal studies found that CBD improves the transmission of 5-HT1A, which is a sub-type of receptor of serotonin hormone. It is known that medicines which target the body’s serotonin system can help treat some cases of depression and dealing with anxiety. This is the reason why pharmaceuticals companies have made SSRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as Zoloft and Prozac.
These drugs prevent the re-absorption of serotonin hormone in the brain, thereby raising the presence of the hormone in the brain’s synaptic space. This in turn allows the brain cells to send additional serotonin signals, thereby helping decrease anxiety and enhancing the mood in some anxiety sufferers.
- The Spanish researchers found that just like SSRIs, CBD oil tends to improve signal transmission via serotonin receptors. The studies revealed that CBD boosts the transmission of 5-HT1A which tends to have a faster effect on serotonin as compared to SSRIs.
The scientists also noted that the rapid onset of the depression alleviating action of cannabidiol as well as the concurrent anti-anxiety response, may help resolve a few of the major restrictions of different anti-depressant drugs and therapies currently available in the medicine.
So in conclusion does CBD oil for anxiety do the trick? We don’t know, and each individual is different. There’ no harm in giving it some time and commitment in conjunction with a proven method around the teachings of CBT.